- Born: 16 Jul 1724, New York City NY
- Christened: 25 Jul 1725, New York City NY
- Marriage (1): Philander Hayley on 28 Apr 1748 in New York City NY
- Died: 7 Mar 1769, New York City NY
Events in his life were:
- , . 1 He is known to have worked as an ironmonger and gunsmith. While he has been listed by some as a silversmith, there appears to be no evidence that he actually practiced the trade; it is more likely that he occasionally sold goods made by other silversmiths.
- He wrote his will on 3 Mar 1769 in New York City NY
In the name of God, Amen. I, GILBERT FORBES, of New York, merchant, being of sound mind. After payment of debts, I leave all the rest of my estate to my wife Philander and my eight children, Gilbert, William, Abraham, Jemima, Mary, Philander, Ann, and Catharine, share and share alike, except £5 over and above to my son Gilbert. I make my wife, and my son Gilbert, and my friend, John Youngs, of New York, schoolmaster, executors.
Witnesses, Jonathan Laurence, John Burt Lyng, silversmith, Joseph Forbes.
Proved, April 20, 1769
Gilbert married Philander Hayley on 28 Apr 1748 in New York City NY. (Philander Hayley was born in 1723 and died in 1795 in New York City NY.)