Rufus Davenport Dunbar
- Born: 25 Jul 1807, Charlton MA
- Marriage (1): Deborah Knowlton Bigelow on 12 Apr 1830
- Died: 12 Aug 1869, Columbus OH
Silversmith and jeweler
Events in his life were:
- He worked in 1825-1836 as a silversmith and jeweler in Worcester MA 3
- Letter To J. BIGELOW & Co
Worcester April 30 1836
Messrs J. Bigelow & Co
Gent. I make haste informing you that the store is so nearly completed that it will be expedient for one of you to come up as soon as Tuesday next for the purpose of taking an account of stock & consummation of our copartnership. We should be happy to see Mrs Bigelow with you. I will be ready to go immediately about taking the account Tuesday morning so as not to detain you more than 2 or 3 days at most — if I hear nothing from you presently I will expect you at this time
Yours very Respy
Rufus D. Dunbar
- He was a partner circa 1836-1838 with John Bigelow in Worcester MA as BIGELOW & DUNBAR.
- He was a partner in 1838-1840 with Simeon Norman Story in Worcester MA as DUNBAR & STORY, with a shop at 142 Main Street.
- He worked in 1841-1848 as a silversmith and jeweler in Worcester MA
Listed in the 1845 Worcester city directory at 179 Main Street.
- He was a partner in 1848 with Benjamin? Bangs in Worcester MA
Listed in the New England Mercantile Union Business Directory as DUNBAR & BANGS, wholesale dealers at 205 Main Street. 3
- Reports of the First Exhibition of the Worcester County Mechanics Association Sep 1848, Worcester MA. JEWELRY & FANCY GOODS, LAMPS, GIRANDOLES, &c.
E. F. Dixie, Charles Rice, Wm. D. Fenno, Committee.
651. A Case of Jewelry, contributed by Messrs. Dunbar & Bangs of Worcester, containing a splendid assortment of Jewelry, &c., such as Pins, Rings, Bracelets, Chains, Watches, (the cases of which only were considered, being of American manufacture,) Silver Combs, Cups, Spoons, Forks, Butter & Fruit Knives, Napkin Rings, Card Cases, Gold Thimbles, Spectacles, Eye Glasses, Pencil Cases, &&c., presenting a truly splendid variety — of excellent workmanship, and of every form and style. The watch cases were from the manufactory of Baldwin & Durand, Newark, N. J., and were splendidly finished. One in particular was noticed, heavily embossed and chased, surpassing anything ever before seen by your Committee. We beg here to remark that two of your Committee have for many years been, and still are, in the same line of business.
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Worcester MA, listed as a jeweler.
- He appeared on the 1860 census taken at Columbus OH, listed as a watchmaker.
Rufus married Deborah Knowlton Bigelow on 12 Apr 1830. (Deborah Knowlton Bigelow was born on 23 Jul 1808 in Westminster MA and died on 21 Oct 1866.)