- Born: 19 Jun 1819
- Marriage (1): Eliza Jane Smith on 22 Apr 1841 in Williamsburg NY
- Died: 9 Jan 1892, Fairview, Bergen, NJ
- Buried: 12 Jan 1892
Jeweler and manufacturer
Events in his life were:
- Apprenticed in 1831-1839 to Thomas Addison in New York City NY
- He worked in 1839-1842 as a journeyman in New York City NY with various pen manufacturers.
- He was a partner in 1843-1849 with John H. Rauch as RAUCH & Co, gold-pen manufacturers.
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Williamsburg NY, listed as a jeweler.
- He was a partner in 1851-1855 with John H. Knapp and ? Johnson in New York City NY as MABIE, KNAPP, & JOHNSON
- He was a partner in 1855-1856 with John McGovern in New York City NY as MABIE & McGOVERN.
- He was a partner in 1856-1860 with William H. Smith and Edward Todd in New York City NY as MABIE & SMITH.
- He was a partner in 1860-1868 with Edward Todd in New York City NY as MABIE, TODD & Co.
- He appeared on the 8 Aug 1870 census taken at Hackensack NJ, listed as a pencil case manufacturer.
- His obituary was published on 12 Jan 1892 in New York City NY.
John Mabie, one of the pioneer gold pen and pencil makers of this country and founder of the firm of Mabie, Todd & Bard, 198 Broadway, died on Saturday of the grip in his country home at Fairview, N.J.
Mr. Mabie was seventy-three years old, and was born in this city. He learned the trade of a gold pen and pencil maker with Addison, Wilmarth & Co., in Spring Street. Subsequently he became foreman for and then a partner of John A. Rauch, in the same business, in Cortlandt Street. In 1853 he established the firm of Mabie, Knapp & McGovern, the other partners being John H. Knapp and John McGovern. After several years, Mr. Knapp withdrew. The company then became Mabie, Smith & Co. by the admission of William H. Smith and Edward Todd. Then George W. Todd joined the firm and its name was changed to Mabie, Todd & Co. in 1857.
Mr. Mabie withdrew from active business seventeen years ago, but retained his interest in the name of his two sons, who represented him. Recently the firm became Mabie, Todd & Bard.
John married Eliza Jane Smith on 22 Apr 1841 in Williamsburg NY. (Eliza Jane Smith was born on 5 Sep 1821 in Westchester NY and died on 30 Jun 1870 in Fairview, Bergen, NJ.)