Ralph Smith Mershon
- Born: 13 Feb 1831, Pennington, Mercer, NJ
- Marriage (1): Mary Elizabeth Jones on 12 Nov 1863 in Zanesville OH
- Died: 27 Mar 1914, Zanesville OH
Jeweler and watchmaker
Events in his life were:
- He worked circa 1855-1860 as a jeweler and watchmaker in Philadelphia PA
- He was a partner circa 1864-1870 with George Amasa Jones in Zanesville OH as JONES & MERSHON.
- Daily Courier 17 Feb 1870, Zanesville OH. The legal notice, published yesterday of the dissolution of copartnership of the well-known Jewelry firm of Messrs. Jones and Mershon, and the retiring of active business of Mr. George A. Jones, the senior member of the firm, after a sucessful business career in this city extending over a period of forty years, is a circumstance worthy of note and worthy of honorable mention in the history of our city and its business men.
Mr. Jones was longer engaged in merchantile transactions in this city than any gentleman now living with a single exception, that of Mr. James Warner, who commenced business here five years prior to the time that Mr. Jones came to this city. Mr. Jones came to Ohio from Albany, New York, in 1826, and after spending a few years in Cleveland and Huron county, came to Zanesville and engaged in business in the spring of 1830, in a wooden two story building which stood on the lot now occupied by the Savings Bank of Messrs. A. H. Brown & Co.. It is a fact of note that the stock goods with which Mr. Jones commenced business was shipped to Cleveland, thence to Massillon by the Ohio Canal, which was then only completed to that place, and from thence the goods were brought by wagon to this city, then town of Zanesville. Mr. Jones occupied the wooden building we have designated until 1831, afterward refitted and remodeled the building, added a third story to it, giving the storeroom and building an exceedingly fine appearance for those days. In this room, Mr. Jones did business for more than thirty-three years. In the year 1859, he formed his first co-partnership, taking into business with him Mr. Henry Kruger, under the firm name of G. A. Jones & Co., which style was changed the following year to Jones& Kruger. This partnership was continued until the year 1862, when Mr. Kruger, having purchased the business of the late James J. Ross, Esq. retired from the firm and Mr. Jones continued in his own name. In 1864 Mr. Jones removed to the building at present occupied by the Muskingum National Bank, and formed a copartnership with Ralph S. Mershon, Esq., under the name of Jones and Mershon. This copartnership continued until the first of this month when Mr. Jones, owing to advancing years, retired from active business. Last year, the firm leased and fitted up in a rich and costly style the corner room in Odd Fellows Hall building. To this room they removed in April last, and have since continued to enlarge and increase their already extensive trade; and where R. S. Mershon, Esq. now continues the business of the late firm in his own name.
Mr. Jones, in the long life which he has spent in business, has always been known as a prompt, active, energetic business man, rigidly honest and fair in his dealings, and now retires from active life with a competence of this world's goods, and hosts of kind relatives and friends as the result of a long life of energy and business. May he live many years to come to enjoy the fruits of his toil.
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Zanesville OH, listed as a jewelry store keeper.
- He appeared on the 1880 census taken at Zanesville OH, listed as a jeweler.
Ralph married Mary Elizabeth Jones, daughter of George Amasa Jones and Maria Carter, on 12 Nov 1863 in Zanesville OH. (Mary Elizabeth Jones was born on 21 Mar 1837 in Akron OH.)