William Hutton Giffing
- Born: 1786, New York City NY
- Marriage (1): Margaret Van Rensselaer Keating on 5 Feb 1813 in Geneva NY
- Died: 3 Aug 1854, Buffalo NY
Events in his life were:
- He was a partner in 1809-1814 with John Sweeney in Geneva NY as GIFFING & SWEENEY. 18
- Advertised in the Geneva Gazette (Geneva NY), 9 Sep 1809,
Gold & Silversmith Business.
WILLIAM GIFFING and JOHN SWEENY [sic] take this method to inform the public that they have taken the stand formerly occupied by Mr. TAPPAN, nearly opposite the Hotel, Geneva, where, under the firm of Giffing & Sweeney, they carry on the above business in all its branches. They will manufacture and keep constantly for sale, ladies ear-rings, finger rings, breast pins, Gold beads, silver tea and table spoons, sugar tongs, &c. which they will warrant of a superior quality, and will sell as low as can be purchased in Albany. From their knowledge of their business they feel confident that they will be able to give satisfaction to those who may favor them with their custom, and hope, by their unremitted exertions to please, to receive a share of public favor.
- Advertised in the Geneva Gazette (Geneva NY), 14 Sep 1814,
Dissolution of Partnership
The Co-partnership heretofor existing under the Firm of GIFFING and SWEENEY, has expired by its own limitation. All persons indebted to the firm are requested to pay the same immediately to either of the subscribers.
WILLIAM GIFFING, jr.
The Watch Repairing and Gold and Silversmith Business will still be continued at the old stand by the subscribers individually.
- He worked circa 1815-1830 as a silversmith in Geneva NY 18
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Buffalo NY, listed as a gold and silversmith.
William married Margaret Van Rensselaer Keating on 5 Feb 1813 in Geneva NY. (Margaret Van Rensselaer Keating was born in 1796 in Geneva NY and died on 29 Oct 1879 in Buffalo NY.)