American Silversmiths

Schuyler Haff
Delia Barbour
Leroy Barbour Haff


Family Links

Leroy Barbour Haff
  • Born: 26 Feb 1841, Peru NY
  • Died: 18 Sep 1893, Englewood NJ

  General notes:


  Events in his life were:

  • He worked in 1867-1869 as a bookkeeper in New York City NY for the retail department of William Gale's manufacturing firm.
  • He was a partner in 1869-1871 with William Gale and Henry Blanchard Dominick in New York City NY as GALE, DOMINICK & HAFF with shops at 447 and 451 Broome Street.


  • Alternate Mark

  • Alternate Mark
  • He appeared on the 1880 census taken at Englewood NJ, listed as a silversmith.
  • Obituary printed in the The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review (New York City NY) on 27 Sep 1893
    The Death of Leroy B. Haff.
    The jewelry trade was shocked last week at the news of the death of Leroy B. Haff, of Dominick & Haff, New York, which occurred Sept. 18th at Paul Smith's in the Adirondacks, where Mr. Haff who had been suffering with pleurisy, had gone for the benefit of his heath.
    Mr. Haff was born in Peru, N.Y., fifty-two years ago. He had been connected with the silverware business since 1867, when he entered as a book keeper, the retail department of William Gale, manufacturing silversmith, whose retail business was then under the Metropolitan Hotel, New York. In 1869, Mr. Gale closed out his retail department and Mr. Haff was transferred to the wholesale department of Gale & Corning, at Broome & Mercer Sts. The next year he became a member of the firm, the name of which was changed to Gale, Dominick & Haff. Mr. Gale took no active interest in the firm, but his name remained until 1872, when the firm took its present name of Dominick & Haff.
    Two years later they removed to the first Waltham building, at 1, 3 and 5 Bond St., but when this structure was destroyed by fire in 1877, they changed their questers to 7 and 9 Bond St. When the present building at Nos. 1, 3 and 5 was rebuilt, they moved back into it and remained there until 1884, when they again changed their
    quarters to the building in which they are now located at 860 Broadway. In 1888, when the firm was organized into a joint stock company, Mr. Haff became vice-president and treasurer, and his partner, H.B. Dominick, president of the concern.

Home | Surnames | Name List

© Wm Erik Voss 2005