William Lewis Gilbert
- Born: 3 Dec 1806, Litchfield CT
- Died: 30 Jun 1890
Events in his life were:
- , . George Marsh and William Lewis Gilbert purchased a clock shop in 1828, which they named Marsh, Gilbert & Company. They were soon at work in two Connecticut cities, Bristol and Farmington.
In 1837, when John Birge joined Gilbert, the company name became Birge, Gilbert & Company. They made Empire-style shelf clocks.
The company name continued to change. From 1839 to 1840, the company was known as Jerome, Grant, Gilbert & Company. Clockmakers Zelotas Grant, and Chauncey and Noble Jerome became partners with Gilbert to create Jerome's inexpensive brass movement clocks.
In 1841, Gilbert and Lucius Clarke purchased the clock factory of Riley Whitingin Winsted, Connecticut. Later the town name was changed to Winchester. Ezra Baldwin was a member of this company for a time. From 1841 to 1845 Clarke, Gilbert & Company produced inexpensive brass clocks. In 1845 William Lewis Gilbert purchased Clarke's share in the company, but three years later, Clarke bought his shares back. The partnership lasted until 1851. The company name became W. L. Gilbert & Company until 1866, when the Gilbert Manufacturing Company was established. On July 5, 1871, the William L. Gilbert Clock Company was formed at Winsted, Conn. to succeed the Gilbert Manufacturing Company, which had been dissolved after a fire destroyed the factory. Gilbert died in 1890, but the company name was retained for sixty-three years.
- He was a partner circa 1828 with George Marsh in Farmington CT as MARSH, GILBERT & Co.
- Label, c 1830
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Winchester CT, listed as a clockmaker.
- He appeared on the 1860 census taken at Winchester CT, listed as a manufacturer.