Ira Strong Towne
- Born: 3 Mar 1810, Montpelier VT
- Marriage (1): Frances Miretta Witherell on 4 Jun 1834 in Montpelier VT
- Died: 19 Sep 1902, New York City NY
Silversmith, jeweler, and watchmaker
Events in his life were:
- He was a partner in 1831-1832 with Josiah Towne in Montpelier VT as I. S. & J. TOWN. Advertised ". . . silver work of every description manufactured to order on short notice." 3
- Watch paper for I. S. & J. TOWN, c 1831
American Antiquarian Society
- Master to Elijah Witherell Abt 1832 in Montpelier VT. 1
- He worked in 1832-1838 as a silversmith, jeweler, and watchmaker in Montpelier VT retaining the old firm name of I. S. & J. TOWN. 8
- He was a partner in 1838-1845 with Elijah Bailey Witherell in Montpelier VT as TOWN & WITHERELL. Advertised ". . . made all the silverware bought at their shop and it was warrented to be the best quality." 3
- Alternate Mark for TOWN & WITHERELL
- He was a partner in 1848-1851 with Jonas Galutia Hall in Montpelier VT as TOWN & HALL, the business carried on as a "silver spoon manufactory at the old stand on State Street." 3
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Montpelier VT, listed as a jeweler. His partner, Jonas Galutia Hall and George Steward, age 17, are laso listed as jewelers living in his household.
- He worked in 1851-1852 as a silversmith, jeweler, and watchmaker in Montpelier VT eventually selling out to the firm of PHINNEY & MEAD. 8
- He worked in 1868-1885 as a silversmith, jeweler, and watchmaker in Montpelier VT returning, after a 16 year retirement, to his old trade. His shop was located at 158 State Street until 1875, when it was burned in a massive fire that also destroyed the shops of A. A. Mead and Charles Keene. By 1879 he was working at 16 State Street. 8
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Montpelier VT, listed as a jeweler.
- Master to Frank Willson Rogers 1871-1874 in Montpelier VT.
- He appeared on the 1880 census taken at Montpelier VT, listed as a jeweler.
Ira married Frances Miretta Witherell, daughter of Elijah Witherell and Lucretia Bailey, on 4 Jun 1834 in Montpelier VT. (Frances Miretta Witherell was born in 1811 in Montpelier VT.)