Claudius Gilliad Avery
- Born: 27 Jul 1823, Preston CT
- Marriage (1): Lucy Hobough in Chicago IL
- Died: 24 Sep 1875, Marshal MI
Jeweler and watchmaker
Events in his life were:
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Emmett Calhoun MI, listed as a watchmaker.
- He was a partner in 1856-1858 with Samuel Hoard in Chicago IL as HOARD & AVERY.
- He appeared on the 1860 census taken at Chicago IL, listed as a jeweler.
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Kansas City MO, listed as a jeweler.
- Isabella County Enterprise, 6 Oct 1875, Mount Pleasant, Isabella, MI.
"A heart-rending catastrophe occurred at Marshall, Mich. by the burning of the Herndon House, early on Friday morning, Sept. 24. Claude Avery, a prominent jeweler of that town, and Antoine Gruber, a cigar maker, from New Haven, Conn., perished in the flames. Their bodies were afterward taken from the ruins burned to a crisp. Eliza King, a dining-room girl, attempted to descend a ladder from a fourth story window, fell, and was instantly killed. Mrs. Claude Avery, who was being rescued by a fireman from a third-story window, fell out of his arms, he being overcome by the smoke, when within ten feet of the ground, and was severely injured."
Claudius married Lucy Hobough in Chicago IL. (Lucy Hobough was born on 11 Apr 1827.)