James Madison Durand
- Born: 20 Mar 1813, South Orange NJ
- Marriage (1): Sarah Ann Carroll in 1833
- Died: 9 Aug 1895, New York City NY
Silversmith and jeweler
Events in his life were:
- Apprenticed about 1826 to TAYLOR & BALDWIN in Newark NJ
- He was a partner in 1845-1850 with Isaac Baldwin in Newark NJ as BALDWIN & DURAND, watchcase manufacturers and engravers, listed in Pierson's 1850 City Directory at 6 Franklin Street.
- Reports of the First Exhibition of the Worcester County Mechanics Association, Sep 1848, Worcester MA. JEWELRY & FANCY GOODS, LAMPS, GIRANDOLES, &c.
E. F. Dixie, Charles Rice, Wm. D. Fenno, Committee.
651. A Case of Jewelry, contributed by Messrs. Dunbar & Bangs of Worcester, containing a splendid assortment of Jewelry, &c., such as Pins, Rings, Bracelets, Chains, Watches, (the cases of which only were considered, being of American manufacture,) Silver Combs, Cups, Spoons, Forks, Butter & Fruit Knives, Napkin Rings, Card Cases, Gold Thimbles, Spectacles, Eye Glasses, Pencil Cases, &&c., presenting a truly splendid variety — of excellent workmanship, and of every form and style. The watch cases were from the manufactory of Baldwin & Durand, Newark, N. J., and were splendidly finished. One in particular was noticed, heavily embossed and chased, surpassing anything ever before seen by your Committee. We beg here to remark that two of your Committee have for many years been, and still are, in the same line of business.
- He was a partner circa 1850 with John Annin in Newark NJ as DURAND & ANNIN, watch case manufacturers with a shop at 36 Walnut Street.
- He worked in 1820-1880 as a silversmith, jeweler, and engraver in Newark NJ as DURAND & Co.
- He appeared on the 1880 census taken at Newark NJ, listed as a jewelry manufacturer.
James married Sarah Ann Carroll in 1833. (Sarah Ann Carroll was born on 29 Apr 1815 in New York City NY and died on 24 Mar 1886.)